Workshop on Advancing Non-Lithium-Ion Long Duration Energy Storage Technologies being held 4/5/22.
Workshop on Advancing Non-Lithium-Ion Long Duration Energy Storage Technologies
The California Energy Commission (CEC) will host a workshop to examine opportunities to advance non-lithium-ion long-duration energy storage (LDES) technologies through the Electric Program Investment Charge (EPIC), proposed new funding in the Fiscal Year (FY) 2022/2023 budget, and recently announced federal infrastructure funding. A quorum of commissioners may participate, but no votes will be taken. The workshop will support both in-person and remote attendance. The public can participate in the workshop consistent with the direction provided below. Please note that the CEC aims to begin promptly at the start time posted and the end time is an estimate based on the agenda proposed. The workshop may end sooner or later than the posted end time depending on various factors.
CEC staff is seeking input from industry representatives, researchers, government agencies, and other interested parties to inform the direction and scope of future research efforts under EPIC, implementation of the proposed new funding in the FY 2022/2023 Budget for LDES technologies, and the use of these funding resources to attract additional federal funding authorized under the Infrastructure Investment & Jobs Act of 2021. Workshop speakers will review the state of the LDES market with a focus on California and identify opportunities for further development and scale-up of LDES technologies to meet the future requirements of California’s electric grid and support the implementation of Senate Bill (SB) 100 (Chapter 312, Statutes of 2018). Public comment will be enabled during the workshop.
Workshop presentations and panels will include:
1) Review of EPIC-funded energy storage research and an overview of the latest EPIC grants supporting LDES.
2) Discussions by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and California Independent System Operator (California ISO) on the latest projections for the need for energy storage to meet the needs of California’s grid and the implementation of SB 100.
3) Discussion led by a representative from the U.S. Department of Energy on its LDES plans and opportunities for LDES under the Infrastructure, Investment & Jobs Act of 2021.
4) Discussions by LDES industry association representatives and LDES technology providers on the value and ability of non-lithium-ion LDES technologies to meet California’s projected needs and how the state can help accelerate the commercialization status of these technology solutions.
5) Open discussion with members on the dais and attendees to the workshop.
6) Public Comment.
A detailed meeting agenda will be posted before the workshop at https://www.energy.ca.gov/event-calendar.
This workshop will support in-person attendance and remote access. The meeting will be held April 5, 2022 from 10AM - 2:30PM PDT.
For In-Person Attendance
CALEPA Headquarters Building
Byron Sher Auditorium
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
For Remote Attendance
https://energy.zoom.us/j/94623702549?pwd=OEhvYkJYMExEV3BLcW54UHZDSjdTQT09 ID: 946 2370 2549
Use the “raise hand” feature to indicate you want to speak and the event facilitator will indicate when your line is open and ready for you to make comment.
dial (786) 635-1003 or (888) 475-4499 (Toll Free).
When prompted, enter the ID: 946 2370 2549.
To comment, dial *9 to “raise your hand” and *6 to mute/unmute your phone line.